Vic Heritage iPhone app, developed for the Department of Planning and Community Development (DPCD) and Heritage Victoria, explores the histories of the most important and unusual places in Melbourne and regional Victoria.
This rich informative app spans significant places from the 1840s to the present, the captures everything from Victorian to modern architecture; from houses to industrial spaces; from mansions to bridges; from public toilets to trees and gardens.
- Search the 2,200 plus places on the Victorian Heritage Register
- For each place view images, details of the history and architecture of the place, and any user-generated content people have added
- Discover the history around you with our ‘near me’ feature
- Search for places according to your interest – by location, architect, style or type of place
- Add your story or image of a place and share the significance it has for you with others
- Share your favourite places via social media, email and text message
- Create your own tours and share them on the App
- Browse, search and find ‘near me’ tours created by other users
- Explore four ‘Recommended’ walking tours created by Heritage Victoria including:
- An audio tour of St Kilda’s housing history narrated by Radio National’s Peter Mares
- An audio tour of award-winning contemporary adaptations of older industrial buildings in Melbourne’s CBD. Features interviews with four of Melbourne’s leading architects
- A tour of the CBD and Carlton Gardens, illustrating Victoria’s Framework of Historical Themes. Great for history teachers or anyone interested in uncovering the layers and themes of history in our built heritage
- A 20th century architecture tour of the CBD, stopping at some of our 20th century gems. Full program information including performance details, pictures, videos and directions via built in Maps.
The interactive guide to all of Victoria’s important places, you can get it from the App Store now.